1. Home »
  2. Montana

Montana Registered Agent Services (7)

Updated on March 1, 2024

A Montana registered agent is a person or corporation authorized to receive service of any process, notice, or demand served on a corporation.[1] Every business must have a registered agent. The Secretary of State maintains a list of commercial agents for businesses to choose from, though an agent can be anyone with a street address in Montana.[2]

Top Registered Agents (7)

CompanyPrice ($)Document ScanningAgent Change FeeAnnual Renewal FeeMobile App?

4.7 out of 5 – 13,467 reviews
$99/yearYes$0$0iOS | Android

4.7 out of 5 – 15,944 reviews
Harbor Compliance

4.0 out of 5 – 17 reviews
Northwest Registered Agent

3.5 out of 5 – 62 reviews
InCorp Services

2.2 out of 5 – 16 reviews
CT Corporation

1.8 out of 5 – 17 reviews
Montana Registered Agent

0 reviews

*We collect affiliate fees from this company. Pricing is $99 for the first year and $199 for renewal.

Registered Agent Search

Step 1 – Go to the state’s Business Search page.

Step 2 – Click on “Advanced” beneath the input area. The database is organized by entity name, so enter the name of the entity associated with the agent. Alternatively, if you know the agent’s Personal Identification Number, select “Search by Registered Agent” and enter it.

Step 3 – A list of entities will appear. Click the entity associated with the agent, whose name is listed in the right-hand column.

Step 4 – Selecting the appropriate entity results in further information about the entity, including its filing number and the name and address of its registered agent.

Who can be a Registered Agent?

A registered agent can be any person residing in Montana or any corporation authorized to transact business in Montana. By appointing an agent, a corporation vouches that the agent has consented to the appointment.[3]

Can I be a Registered Agent?

Yes, if you have a street address in Montana. The most common way for a corporation to select a registered agent is by including the agent’s information in the form filed with the Secretary of State to register a business. This can be done using the state’s online filing portal.

Sign in with a username and password, or create an account. Select “Forms” from the menu and choose the relevant entity type. Complete the form and submit it, along with payment for the filing fee, by clicking “Submit.”

Filing fees are listed below and on the Secretary of State’s website.[4]

  • Corporation: $35
  • Foreign corporation: $70
  • Non-profit corporation: $20
  • Foreign non-profit corporation: $15
  • Domestic LLC: $35 plus $50 for each member
  • Foreign LLC: $70 plus $50 for each member
  • Limited Partnership: $10
  • Limited Liability Partnership: $20
  • Cooperative: $20

Changing a Registered Agent

To change a registered agent, file a Statement of Change with the Secretary of State. To do this, visit the state’s online filing portal and sign into your account. Search for the business, click on the business name, and then click “Filing Actions.” Scroll down to select “Registered Agent/Office Change by Entity” and complete the process.

There is no filing fee. A Statement of Change takes effect upon filing.[5]

Resigning as a Registered Agent

A registered agent can resign by filing a Statement of Resignation with the Secretary of State. The statement must include the name of the entity, the name of the agent, and the name and address of a person affiliated with the entity whom the agent will notify about the resignation. The statement must also indicate that the agent resigns.[6]

A resignation becomes effective on the 31st day after a statement is filed or when a new agent is appointed, whichever comes first.


  1. § 35-7-113
  2. § 35-7-106
  3. § 35-7-105
  4. Business Services Filing Fees
  5. § 35-7-108
  6. § 35-7-111